Focusing for Landscape Photography
By Ian Plant
One of the most vexing challenges faced by landscape photographers is achieving the appearance of sharp focus throughout the entire image frame, the "deep focus" effect that landscape photography is known for. Most landscape scenes consist of nearby foreground objects juxtaposed against distant background scenery, and ensuring deep focus from near to far is often difficult, especially for beginners.
This ebook and video course features excerpted material from Ian's Ultimate Landscape Photography course, and it deals entirely with issues and concepts related to achieving sharp near-far focus for landscape scenes. In this course, you'll learn about the following:
- Depth of field (the zone of apparent sharp focus surrounding your chosen focus point) and its relation to your lens aperture.
- Hyperfocal distance (where to focus your lens to achieve optimal depth of field).
- Field and digital darkroom techniques for focus stacking, a technique that involves blending multiple exposures of the same composition each shot at a different focus point.
- Other related concepts important to understanding how to achieve deep focus for landscape scenes.
If you already own The Ultimate Landscape Photography Course, then you've already got access to all of the material in this course. If you haven't purchased The Ultimate Landscape Photography Course, and are looking to just dip your toe in first or are only concerned about learning how to achieve the deep focus landscape effect, then this course is perfect for you. Because the material covered in this course is also covered in The Ultimate Landscape Photography Course, you'll also get an upgrade coupon which gives you 20% off. That way, if you want to learn more about taking amazing landscape photos, you can upgrade to the full course without having to pay twice for the same content!
This course consists of three modules. Together, these modules will teach you everything you need to know about achieving sharp focus for landscape photography each and every time:
- A 41-page ebook, which explains a number of important techniques including depth of field, hyperfocal distance, and focus stacking, among others.
- The Deep Focus video module from The Ultimate Landscape Photography Course, a nine-minute field-based video demonstrating landscape focusing techniques.
- The Focus Stacking video module from The Ultimate Landscape Photography Course, a six-minute video showing digital darkroom techniques for focus stacking.
Meet Your Instructor
Ian Plant travels the globe seeking out amazing places in his never-ending quest to capture the beauty of our world with his camera. Ian is a frequent contributor to many leading photo magazines and the author of numerous books and instructional videos. He has reached hundreds of thousands of people around the world in his mission to inspire and educate others in the art of photography.